Should we use MRI for Fetal Spine Imaging?
Imaging the fetal spine using in utero MR: diagnostic accuracy and impact on management. In Pediatr Radiol 2006 Jul 18; [Epub ahead of print] By Griffiths PD et al.
"In-utero MR imaging (iuMR) has entered the clinical arena during the last decade. It is used mainly for imaging fetal brain abnormalities. Authors report their experience of imaging the fetal spine and spinal cord in fetuses with known or suspected abnormalities diagnosed on US imaging. In 40 (80%) of 50 fetuses, iuMR and US imaging were in complete agreement. In the other 10 fetuses (20%), iuMR provided additional information or changed the diagnosis, including 8 fetuses where the iuMR could find no abnormality and was found to be correct by later follow-up.
Authors conclude-The clinical impact of iuMR may be numerically less than with brain abnormalities, but is still sufficient to warrant its use, especially if there is any uncertainty about the US imaging, and particularly as a relatively high proportion of diagnoses on US imaging are false-positives."
Should we use MRI for Fetal Spine Imaging? Reviewed by Sumer Sethi on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 Rating: