taken from the book by dr sumer k sethi review of radiology
Radiology of Pulmonary Tuberculosis:
• Ghon’s lesion: Subpleural consolidation + lymphatic + enlarged lymph nodes
• Lymphadenopathy is characteristic of primary infection ( also in Tuberculosis with AIDS)
• Consolidation can occur anywhere in the lung. (More common subpleural sites in lower lobe)
• Involves Apical segments of upper and lower lobes
• V. UN COMMON IN ANTERIOR SEGMENT OF UPPER LOBE**
Hematogenous spread of TB leads to miliary shadowing
Endobronchial spread : Tree in bud appearance**
Rasmussen aneurysm: Pulmonary artery in cavity TB may cause hemoptysis**
—In hemoptysis—First vessel to be studied-Bronchial artery.
Pneumococcal- more commonly basal, klebsiella more common right upper lobe, bulging fissure, mycoplasma earliest CXR change is fine reticulo-nodular shadows followed by consolidation. Viral pneumonias may show-peribronchial shadowing, reticulonodular shadows and consolidation
• Klebsiella pneumonia (Freidlander’s bacillus)
• Lung abscess
• Ca bronchus
• No or rare calcification in lung
• ‘Water lily’ sign OR CAMALOTE SIGN**
Hydatid cyst forms three layers:
Pericyst due to fibrous host reaction, ectocyst and the endocyst containing brood capsules.
ASPERGILLOSIS IN LUNG
CXR show density surrounded by air in the cavity (air crescent sign)
Also seen in –
AIR Crescent sign
• Aspergilloma or fungal ball
• Inspissated pus in a cavity
• Tumour or clot within the cavity
• Hydatid cyst.
2) Invasive aspergillosis
In immunocompromised persons
CT Halo appearance due to surrounding haemorrhagic inflammation.
3) Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis type III immune reaction, central bronchiectasis, ‘gloved finger appearance’
CXR normal in 10% may show perihilar and mid/lower zone ground glass infiltrates, lymphadenopathy pleural effusion less common. Pneumothorax is well recognized complication.
Morphological Types(increasing severity)
Radiological Signs **
· ‘Signet-ring’ sign- bronchus is larger than the accompanying vessel
· Tram track sign- Lack of peripheral tapering (cylindrical bronchiectasis)
· String of beads appearance alternate dilatation and constriction (varicoid bronchiectasis)
· Cluster of grapes appearance (cystic bronchiectasis)
Ø Investigation of choice: HRCT**
Ø Central Bronchiectasis is a Sign of Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA) **
Ø Idiopathic disease showing tracheobronchomegaly is mounier-kuhn syndrome.
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (213)
- ► 2012 (229)
- ► 2011 (282)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (191)
- ► 2008 (194)
- ► 2007 (131)
- ► 2006 (221)
- ► 2005 (158)
- Sequestrum- A large rod-like sequestrum is observe...
- Chest radiograph demonstrates decreased pulmonary ...
- STRING OF BEADS
- Fibromuscular dysplasia condition of unknown ae...
- Pulmonary edema
- Lateral radiograph of a lumbar vertebral body demo...
- Paget's disease Lateral radiograph of the skull d...
- Barium swallow in a child showing typical appearan...
- sheperd's crook deformity femur-typical of fibrous...
- air bronchogram-- a classical sign described by fl...
- small densely calcified nonfunctioning right kid...
- IMAGING IN BILIARY ATRESIA
- the classic waterlily sign of hydatid!!!!!COPYRIGH...
- History of X-rays
- indian conference calender
- hydatid cyst lung.. a classical CXR appearance alt...
- MITRAL STENOSIS-RADIOLOGICAL FINDINGS
- on line book purchasing
- cranial USG showing bilateral subdural effusion.. ...
- choledocolithiasis-the classical meniscus sign at ...
- MR imaging bladder
- normal barium meal follow through jejunum has valv...
- "pneumatocele" a characterstic of staphylococcal p...
- visit my message board
- "widened intercondylar notch knee" classical featu...
- Nonvisualization of Appendix on CT Linked With Low...
- OSTEOSARCOMA-"SUNRAY APPEARANCE"
- HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA
- posterior urethral valve
- Short Service Commission Notification with the Arm...
- important facts radiotherapy
- MR SAFETY AND CEREBROSPINAL FLUID SHUNT VALVES
- COPD X-RAY changes
- Alobar Holoprosencephaly Holoprosencephaly is a c...
- Renal Transit Time with MR Urography in Children
- Müllerian Duct Anomalies: Imaging and Clinical Iss...
- interesting syndrome
- RSNA 2004
- WHITAKER TEST
- official links for indian medicos
- Radiology quiz
- Radiology of pulmonary infections
- Reviews to My Book "Review of Radiology"
- quote of the day
- RADIOTHERAPY TUTORIAL
- SGPGI FORMS OUT!!!
- Immediate Computed Tomography Scanning of Acute St...
- radiologists, say good bye to cardiac CT!!!!
- PRIMARY PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS
- PGI forms out
- DOUBLE BUBBLE SIGN
- quote of the day
- orbital cysticercosis
- PUTTY KIDNEY
- ultrasound simulators
- ▼ October (57)