Teaching points by Dr MGK Murthy
1. Chest X ray is the commenest Radiological investigation performed anywhere even in todays world ,with some enthusiasts referring to it , as an extension of clinical examination beyond auscultation
2. My personal view point is any significant systemic disease of whatever aetiology has its reflection, if not representation in the chest .
3.Four blind regions on classical teaching of chest X-ray include Apices, Hila, Retrocardiac and CP angles (needing relook as routine)
4. Apical lordotic projection is performed by simply placing the patient supine , with shoulders rolled forwards (to stay clear of lungs) with the central Xray beam projected cephalad (with angles varying from 20-40 degrees)
5. Apical view is under-utilised possibly because of poor understanding and lack of expertise, and of course is practically replaced by CT scans
6. Though it is not an alternative to CT chest, could contribute immensely in avoiding CT scans, if used particularly in apical Tuberculosis, apart from being cost effective .
Lordotic CXR Reviewed by Sumer Sethi on Thursday, March 24, 2016 Rating: