Spinal Cord Stimulators-Plain Film
An adult with post by pass surgery X ray chest for evaluation shows spinal cord stimulator located possibly at D-10 for effective sciatica management.
Teaching points by Dr MGK Murthy.
· Spinal cord stimulation for analgesia is used to exert pulsed electrode stimuli to cord to control chronic pain
· Consists of epidural electrodes(number could vary from 4 to 12) (Wire or paddle variety)at one or multiple levels usually in epidural space and connected via wires to the generator in lower abdomen, or gluteal space (for patient to manipulate)
· Alters local neuro chemistry at dorsal horns by decreasing the hyperexcitability of neurons(possibly by increasing GABA and serotonin)(decreasing glutamate and aspartate)
· Radiology has role to identify the gadget , assist in correct positioning and look for complications like leads mal positioned, detachment, breakage, and migration etc
· Complications are extremely unusual , however could range from local discomfort to transient paraplegia
· Indications are usually Chronic pain , like Failed back syndrome, sciatica, malignancy etc
Spinal Cord Stimulators-Plain Film Reviewed by Sumer Sethi on Thursday, March 08, 2012 Rating: