This is a case of 15 year old male with pain, swelling and on aspiration pus was noted. There are areas of altered marrow signal alteration involving the diapmetaphyseal region and extending across the physeal cartilage to involve the epiphysis with patchy areas of T1 hypointensity and T2 /STIR hyperintensity. There are areas of cortical tunneling and minimal fluid collection in the knee joint and suprapatellar bursa. Findings likely indicate an infective etiology possibly subacute osteomyelitis, which may involve the epiphysis as well. Interconnecting subacute osteomyelitis of the epiphysis and metaphysis is readily explainable in infants younger than 18 months, when one considers that vascular communication between the epiphysis and metaphysis is present until age 18 months. Epiphyseal lesions may also occur in older adolescents when the growth plate becomes attenuated and fails to provide a barrier to epiphyseal infection.
- ► 2015 (144)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (213)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Carpal Fusion-Plain Film
- " Cheating" Radiology Colleague
- Conference Alert- ARRS Annual Meeting
- BPOP versus differentials
- New-york times reports "Distracted Doctoring"
- Filarial Dance Sign-USG
- Post Radiology Diploma (DMRD) CET or Secondary DNB...
- Hypoplastic Uterus-MRI
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea-MRI
- Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis Ankle
- Be Featured on Our Blog
- Lumbar Interspinous Bursitis (Baastrup Disease)
- Retroperitoneal Fibrosis limited to Perinephric sp...
- Latest CT reports on Otzi -the iceman
- Entrepreneurship in Radiology-IRIA 65
- Subacute osteomyelitis-Epiphyseal Involvement
- DoseWise Initiative
- Left Ventricular Hypertrophy- Cardiac MRI
- Delayed Enhancement-Cardiac MRI
- Basics of Cardiac MRI
- Term of the day : "Pig Bronchus"
- My blog now available as iPhone & Android App
- Exostosis-not always easy to identify!
- Recurrent Extra-axial Aspergilloma Mimicking Menin...
- Tibialis Anterior Rupture-MRI
- ▼ December (25)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (191)
- ► 2008 (194)
- ► 2007 (131)
- ► 2006 (221)
- ► 2005 (158)