Can radiologists take the front seat in patient care?
I believe we can by doing the following:
1) Start playing central role in decision making in terms of imaging, we should be telling the clinicians about appropriate imaging required rather than waiting for his orders.
2) Communicate our findings to our colleagues verbally and in case discussions to prevent radiology being seen as a commodity rather than a specialty. Lets be Specialists not image readers.
3) More and more of us should subspecialise and make our reports valuable aid for the clinicians. We should be able to tell them more than they already know.
4) Increasing participation in interventional radiology will also help.
5) Following up our diagnosis with pathologists and findings with surgeons will help us stay at our front seat as well.
6) Upgrading ourselves at pace with the technology so that we continue to have that edge in terms of image interpretation.
7) Participating in medical school education.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you think radiologists are back seat drivers or do you think they can TAKE THE FRONT SEAT?
Can radiologists take the front seat in patient care? Reviewed by Sumer Sethi on Monday, August 22, 2011 Rating: